Sunday, October 26, 2008

Janney Furnace



Located in Ohatchee off of hwy 144, Janney Furnace is the site of a Civil War battle and a pig iron furnace that was being built by the Confederacy and was functional by 1864 when it was destroyed by the Union army.

(Historical Marker)


It has also been made into the largest Confederate memorial in the State of Alabama by the Calhoun County Commission, longtime commissioner Eli Henderson deserving much credit.

(This placard on a barn towards the back of the property)


Along with the remains of the furnace, three large walls of names, similar in nature to the Vietnam Memorial, contains the names of Calhoun County residents who served in the Confederate Army with special consideration given to those who died in the war.

Reenactments of the battle are held periodically.

(Front entrance to the furnace)


(Looking up through the chimney of the furnace)


On either side of the furnace is an inlet like this one. I believe I read that these inlets were used to stoke the furnace with fans powered by a steam engine. (But I can't swear to it.)



(The boys inside the furnace)


(The large wall of names are divided into three sections)


(The Gallant Pelham)


I like the park, but the following inscription just about ruins it for me. If there is one thing I don't care for it's spinning history. And this reads like it was written by someone in the Neo-Confederate movement.



(I'm guessing this is the battlefield)


To get to Janney Furnace: from hwy 431 in Alexandria take hwy 144 west and then follow the signs. If you intersect hwy 77 you went a couple of miles too far. Use the map controls below to zoom the map out in order to get a better view of the location.


View Larger Map

5 comments:

Russ @ Fort Payne said...

Thanks for the pictures. Don't let the inscription ruin it for you. That is an accurate historical description from our (the Southern) perspective. If it doesn't match what you've been taught, that's because your version is historical "spinning" from the Union perspective. The victors get to write the history books.

DDG said...

Hey Russ. Thanks for the comments.

It was probably a little bit of an over reaction on my part, but the term 'sovereign soil' really jumped out at me.

The argument concerning secession has been done to death, so I won't go into it other than to say I don't believe anything in the constitution would give any state that ratified the constitution a right to back out of it. Of course, as you correctly point out, the Civil War pretty much settled that.

But in Alabama's case, the state was never sovereign soil. Prior to statehood it was part of the Alabama territory and previous to that part of the Mississippi territory. It would seem to me that if the State of Alabama were to undo their statehood, then the area would go back to being a territory.

Just my 2 cents.

Anonymous said...

The inscription on the wall is wrong. The United States never declared war on the Confederacy nor ever officialy recognized the Confederacy. The April 15, 1861 date was a day Lincoln called for troops to respond to the attack on Fort Sumter.

Mike said...

I am looking for information on Pte Whales of the 22nd Alabama Inf who is on the memorial .Has any one any further information
I would like a photograph of the Memorial where his name is given
Thanks
Mike de Carteret
mikdecar@cwgsy.net

DDG said...

Hey Mike. Thanks for the comment. The next time I am out that way, I will see if I can snap a pic of his name and I will post it here.